[Rcpp-devel] Registering a custom delete_finalizer for my XPtrs

Romain Francois romain at r-enthusiasts.com
Thu Jul 7 19:48:55 CEST 2011

Hello,

I have added (in rev 3120) some code that allows the developper to
register his own finalizer instead of the default one.

For example:

require( Rcpp )
require( inline )

inc <- '

     class Foo{
         public:
             Foo(double x_) :x(x_){}
             double x;
     } ;

     void bla(Foo* x){
         Rprintf( "hello\\n" ) ;
     }

'
fx <- cxxfunction( , '
     Foo* f = new Foo(2.0) ;
     XPtr<Foo,bla> xp(f,true) ;
     return xp ;
', inc = inc, plugin = "Rcpp" )
fx()
gc()
gc()

This is achieved by adding a second template parameter to XPtr, with a
default value so that the original behaviour is retained.

The class signature of XPtr hence becomes:

template <typename T, void Finalizer(T*) = standard_delete_finalizer<T> >
class XPtr : public RObject

The second parameter is a function that takes a a single argument (a
pointer to the target class).

Hope this gives you what you need.

Romain

--