[Rcpp-devel] Error in Building a Package Using Rcpp

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Jan 17 17:32:42 CET 2011

Hi Wonsang,

On 17 January 2011 at 17:16, Wonsang You wrote:
| Thank you so much for your kind help. I would like to reply to your questions.
|
| Q1) Did you install Rtools as well?
| Of course, I installed Rtools 2.12.

Very good!

| Q2) Have you ever compiled an R package from source on Windows?
| Yes. Before compiling the package "mypackage"  in the Windows Command Prompt, I
| opened the package from Eclipse as a project, and I ran its R function in R
| console as follows.

Just to be on the safe side, please download a simple package from CRAN---my
small 'digest' package at http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/digest/index.html
would do---to 'prove' that you can build a package containing C code. We should
get that step out of the way.

| > Rcpp_hello_world()
|
| But, nothing happened. Thus, I tried to build a package from the skeleton.
|
| Q3) the command you executed
| Please, refer to the above answer.
|
| Q4) the errors you got
| In the Windows Command Prompt, I had the following error message.
|
| > R CMD build mypackage
| checking for file 'mypackage/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
| preparing 'mypackage':
| checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... OK
| cleaning src
| ERROR
| copying to build directory failed
|
| Also, a popup window opened with the error message "the operation of 'make.exe'
| was stopped."
| Then, it suggested to refer the following files, but I could not find them in
| the specified folder.
|
| \AppData\Local\Temp\WER9159.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
| \AppData\Local\Temp\WER9D1D.tmp.appcompat.txt
| \AppData\Local\Temp\WERA078.tmp.mdmp

That looks like some arcane Windows errors.

I can be of no help here, but maybe someone else can.

Dirk

| I attached some codes of the package.
|
| -- rcpp_hello_world.R
|
| rcpp_hello_world <- function(){
|      .Call("rcpp_hello_world", PACKAGE="mypackage")
| }
|
| -- rcpp_hello_world.cpp
|
| #include "rcpp_hello_world.h"
|
| SEXP rcpp_hello_world(){
|      using namespace Rcpp;
|      CharacterVector x = CharacterVector::create( "foo", "bar" )  ;
|      NumericVector y   = NumericVector::create( 0.0, 1.0 ) ;
|      List z            = List::create( x, y ) ;
|      return z ;
| }
|

| 2011/1/17 Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org>
|

|     Dear Wonsang,
|
|     On 17 January 2011 at 16:34, Wonsang You wrote:
|     | Dear Rcpp developers,
|     |
|     | I am not familiar with Rcpp package. To integrate R and C++, I installed
|     the
|     | 'Rcpp' package on Windows. Then, I created a template skeleton according
|     to the
|
|     Did you install Rtools as well?
|
|     Have you ever compiled an R package from source on Windows?
|
|     | documentation (http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/code/rcpp/Rcpp-package.pdf)
|     as
|     | follows.
|     |
|     | > Rcpp.package.skeleton("mypackage")
|     |
|     | Then, I had a set of files, and I tried to build a package by the
|     following
|     | command in the Command Prompt.
|     |
|     | c:\workspace> R CMD build mypackage
|     |
|     | But, I always had an error when it called 'make.exe'.  Can anyone help me
|     | solve such a problem?
|
|     We do not have mind readers.  So unless you show us
|
|       i)   the command you executed
|
|       ii)  the errors you got
|
|     we are in not position to help.
|
|     Cheers, Dirk