[Rcpp-devel] R.e. continuing attempts with throw/catch problem

Christian Gunning xian at unm.edu
Sat Jan 15 05:46:06 CET 2011

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 11:57 AM,
<rcpp-devel-request at lists.r-forge.r-project.org> wrote:

>  [previously sent to Dirk but here in case anyone else is interested,
> and for archival purposes]
>
>  Things are feeling alarmingly non-deterministic, but that may be
> because I've been sloppy.  I've been working mostly with a stock R
> 2.12.1 install (Ubuntu 10.10), but have also tried R-devel and a
> custom-compiled R 2.12.1 (at various times configured --with-blas,
> --with-lapack OR --without-blas, --without-lapack: as I understand it I
> should stick with the --with variant and use Dirk's tools to manipulate
> which libraries are actually used?)
>
>  This script ought to work anywhere, as long as lme4a is installed (I'm
> using ...-60, which is a fresh install from r-forge), gcbd is installed
> (CRAN), and you have network access ...
>
>  Note that lme4a does **not** seem to work with Rcpp 0.9.0.2 (fresh
> R-forge install), but does (except for this particular problem) with
> Rcpp 0.9.0 (fresh CRAN install).
>
> library(gcbd)  ## utilities for messing with BLAS/ATLAS etc.
> tryscript <- function() {
> source(url("http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/bolker/R/misc/throw.R")) }
> ## make sure no accelerated packages are present
> purgeAtlas()
> purgeAtlas39()
> purgeGoto()
> purgeMKL()
> tryscript()
> installAtlas() ## restore Atlas ...
>
>  Is there anyone out there *besides me* for whom this crashes at
> tryscript()?  It seems to happen whether I purgeAtlas() or not.  Is it
> necessary

FWIW, I just tried this and the script successfully issues an error in
all permutations of Atlas state using a stock R 2.12.0 on Ubuntu
Jaunty (do you suspect that R 2.12.1 an integral part of the
question?).  Note that I *just* installed newest R-forge versions of
Rcpp (0.9.0.2), Matrix (0.999375-47), MatrixModels (0.2-1), and lme4a
(0.999375-60).

Note that I don't have gotoblas2, revolution-mkl
r-revolution-revobase, etc. in my apt repositories, so purgeMKL()
purgeGoto() aren't meaningful for me.

-Christian

--
A man, a plan, a cat, a ham, a yak, a yam, a hat, a canal – Panama!