[Rcpp-devel] Loading a package using Rcpp Modules results in memory corruption

Dominick Samperi djsamperi at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 22:02:35 CET 2011

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Romain Francois
<romain at r-enthusiasts.com>wrote:

> Le 11/01/11 19:57, Romain Francois a écrit :
>
>  Le 11/01/11 19:46, Douglas Bates a écrit :

>>> Sorry for not responding earlier. I'm in the middle of teaching a
>>> short course.
>>>
>>> Dominick is correct that it was his analysis that picked up the
>>> failures to PROTECT/UNPROTECT in cases that were causing at least some
>>> of the problems with loading Modules. Credit where credit is due.
>>>
>>> As Romain has indicated, some of the problems have been fixed but
>>> apparently problems still remain. Debugging memory protection
>>> problems is often very difficult.
>>>

>> It is. Not sure what is my next step here. Remaining problems seem not
>> directly related to Rcpp, but rather associated with lazy loading. See:
>>

> This now by not be related to Rcpp. See the thread on R-devel:
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.devel/26504
>
> Please whoever is interested in fixing this, send your remarks and patches
> to the R-devel mailing list.

This looks like the same problem that appeared in Rcpp, an unprotected SEXP
in
<R>/src/main/envir.c, in the function do_as_environment(), case VECSXP of
the
switch. Here is modified code that seems to fix the problem, at least under
Linux:

    case VECSXP: {
    Rprintf("VECSXP as.environment\n");
    /* implement as.environment.list() {isObject(.) is false for a list} */
    SEXP sp = PROTECT(lang4(install("list2env"), arg,
                /*envir = */R_NilValue, /* parent = */R_EmptyEnv));
    SEXP res = eval(sp, rho);
    UNPROTECT(1);
    return res;
    }