[Rcpp-devel] Loading a package using Rcpp Modules results in memory corruption

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Jan 10 20:11:47 CET 2011

On 10 January 2011 at 13:30, Dominick Samperi wrote:
| Is the fix that I proposed and that was confirmed by the three of us a dream?

A 'fix'?  Where is posting a ten-liner that exhibits a perceived bug a 'fix'?

As for the relevance of gctorture, I argued before that our approach of proxy
classes aims for protection at the C++ scope level and NOT at the instruction
level (which is fine for C) -- and as such, gctorture is not a good tool. R
is single-threaded, outside of gctorture we are not likely to get hit by gc
while within a single scope, so the test is not valid.  Which is why I call
the bug 'perceived'.  Actual bug tests are in our unit tests.

Moreever, I sent your example back, reworked and with a third block in Rcpp,
and it did not fail under gctorture.  Ignore this as as you will... but I run
code with Rcpp every (business) day (on datasets large and small), and it has
yet to fail once on a memory issue.  So whatever.

Also:

| My package cxxPack does not compile because YOU "released" RcppClassic,

Cute. Your package happened to be broken for months already, i.e. well before
we responded to _your_ very public email list terror here and on r-devel by
splitting the old deprecated code off.  That was triggered by _you_, so now
blaming me is cute. Too cute.

As for the Date bug reports: yes indeed, those were bugs, seemingly outside
of codepaths I used or tested for. And I fixed them within a day or two each
of when you reported them.  If you had learned to use SVN or a similar tool
in the last few decades you could even have found out for yourself.