[Rcpp-devel] continuing attempts with throw/catch problem

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Jan 8 20:38:27 CET 2011

On 8 January 2011 at 13:52, Ben Bolker wrote:

|   [previously sent to Dirk but here in case anyone else is interested,
| and for archival purposes]
|
|   Things are feeling alarmingly non-deterministic, but that may be
| because I've been sloppy.  I've been working mostly with a stock R
| 2.12.1 install (Ubuntu 10.10), but have also tried R-devel and a
| custom-compiled R 2.12.1 (at various times configured --with-blas,
| --with-lapack OR --without-blas, --without-lapack: as I understand it I
| should stick with the --with variant and use Dirk's tools to manipulate
| which libraries are actually used?)
|
|   This script ought to work anywhere, as long as lme4a is installed (I'm
| using ...-60, which is a fresh install from r-forge), gcbd is installed
| (CRAN), and you have network access ...
|
|   Note that lme4a does **not** seem to work with Rcpp 0.9.0.2 (fresh
| R-forge install), but does (except for this particular problem) with
| Rcpp 0.9.0 (fresh CRAN install).
|
| library(gcbd)  ## utilities for messing with BLAS/ATLAS etc.
| tryscript <- function() {
| source(url("http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/bolker/R/misc/throw.R")) }
| ## make sure no accelerated packages are present
| purgeAtlas()
| purgeAtlas39()
| purgeGoto()
| purgeMKL()

Just FYI these four are from gcbd but make sense only on the machine(s) I ran
the benchmarks on ... as these had Atlas39 and GotoBlas packages for the
Debian / Ubuntu manager.

purgeAtlas() and installAtlas() are more generic, the matching purgeMKL() and
installMKL() can be used on machine pointing to Ubuntu 9.10 repos with the
Revolution R package we prepared for that distro.

| tryscript()
| installAtlas() ## restore Atlas ...
|
|   Is there anyone out there *besides me* for whom this crashes at
| tryscript()?  It seems to happen whether I purgeAtlas() or not.  Is it
| necessary
|
|   When I try this in R-devel after purging Atlas I get:
|
| Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
|   unable to load shared object
| '/mnt/hgfs/bolker/Documents/R/r-devel/R/library/lme4a/libs/lme4a.so':
|   libf77blas.so.3gf: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
| directory
| Error: package/namespace load failed for 'lme4a'
|
|   when I try again I get:
|
| > installAtlas()
| > tryscript()
|
| Attaching package: 'lme4a'
|
| The following object(s) are masked from 'package:stats':
|
|     AIC
|
| npt = 3 , n =  1
| rhobeg =  0.2 , rhoend =  2e-07
| terminate called after throwing an instance of 'Rcpp::eval_error'
|   what():  Lapack routine dpotrf returned error code
| Aborted
|
|   Any more clues?

I haven't had a chance to test any of your scripts. Maybe this weekend.