[Rcpp-devel] Ancient Rcpp for OS X on CRAN [Was: Building/linking trouble with cxxfunction()]

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Feb 23 00:11:28 CET 2011

On Feb 22, 2011, at 6:03 PM, Simon Urbanek wrote:

> On Feb 22, 2011, at 5:51 PM, <Ken.Williams at thomsonreuters.com> <Ken.Williams at thomsonreuters.com> wrote:
>

>> On 2/22/11 4:33 PM, "Simon Urbanek" <simon.urbanek at r-project.org> wrote:

>>> Can you explain? You can always install from sources (provided you have
>>> all the tools etc.) - regardless whether there is a binary or not...
>>
>> That's true - but for most OS X users, myself included until just a couple
>> hours ago, it looks like (when using the R.app GUI install tools) the
>> oldest successfully-built binary is the "latest available version", unless
>> someone like Dirk points us to the source install and says it should work
>> fine.  So it certainly helped me because I didn't know what I was missing.
>>

> Ok, I'll take it down, but note that this will have a snowball effect since it implies that all depending packages will fail as well.

Actually, thinking of it, I could initiate the build manually, skipping checks. Given that we know what fails it should be safe. However, there are currently two issues: a) I can do it only for the current version, i.e. if you update Rcpp make sure the fix is in, otherwise it won't build and b) the build machine is currently catching up R-devel packages so I can only do it when it's done -- could mean tomorrow.

Cheers,
Simon