[Rcpp-devel] Ancient Rcpp for OS X on CRAN [Was: Building/linking trouble with cxxfunction()]

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Feb 22 18:55:59 CET 2011

On 22 February 2011 at 12:45, Simon Urbanek wrote:

| On Feb 22, 2011, at 12:32 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

| > | Oh!  Looks like the GUI package installer in R.app was set to just show
| > | the latest OS X binary on CRAN, which is 0.8.6. Is there some reason
| > | that's trailing the source release?
| >
| > Crap, you're absolutely correct. Forgot about the OS X aspect, as well as my
| > mental note to bug Simon about the stone-old build, so doing that now.
| >
| > Simon:  Are there are any reasons Rcpp is frozen on a version that is five
| > months old and five releases behind?
| >

| Yes, it's not passing checks - it's that simple:
| http://www.R-project.org/nosvn/R.check/r-prerel-macosx-ix86/Rcpp-00check.html

Tres etrange, as Romain develops on OS X himself. I will have to pass on this
one for lack of access to such shiny hardware.  He may fix it, or he may not.
I vaguely recall us discussing that with you and Romain's inability to
reproduce it.  As such, chances of improvement may be slim.  Tant pis.

| And OS X is not the only place as you'll see when you look at
| http://cran.r-project.org/web/checks/check_results_Rcpp.html

I do look there regularly but I cannot fix Slowlaris and the funky SunOS
compiler messages until we get the rumoured 'bin-builder'.

Hints for shutting up R-devel on the 'size' NOTE concerning the arbitrary 1mb
cutoff (hey, "640kb should be enough for everyone" so why not use that?) would
be welcome too.