[Rcpp-devel] Code Refactor Proposal: exception specifiers

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Aug 16 05:01:53 CEST 2011

On 16 August 2011 at 11:45, Darren Cook wrote:
| I had a poke around the Rcpp code today, and noticed exception
| specifiers are used quite widely. I wondered if these were used with
| full knowledge of their pros/cons in C++, or if they were put there by
| someone coming from Java?

You will get a firm "oh quite possibly" for that.  :)

| Some arguments against their use:
|  * Item 14 in Meyer's More Effective C++
|   (the Session destructor example was enough to convince me.)

Hm, I don't have a copy handy right now, only his first and the STL one.

|  * Herb Sutter's "A Pragmatic Look at Exception Specifications":
|    http://www.gotw.ca/publications/mill22.htm

I glanced at that, thanks for the pointer.

|  * C++0x has deprecated them.
|   (it introduces "noexcept" as a better throw(), but not available until
| g++ 4.6)

Right now I feel like 'wait and see'. We are pretty strict about suppressing
g++ warnings and errors but this may not get addressed to g++ 4.7 or
whichever warns about it.  All in all it seems more like a stylistical issue.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Two new Rcpp master classes for R and C++ integration scheduled for
New York (Sep 24) and San Francisco (Oct 8), more details are at
http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2011/08/04#rcpp_classes_2011-09_and_2011-10
http://www.revolutionanalytics.com/products/training/public/rcpp-master-class.php