[Rcpp-devel] A question in slides from Rcpp workshop

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Fri Aug 5 10:49:43 CEST 2011

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 5:27 AM, Zhongyi Yuan <yuanzygoso at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear useR's,
>
> After I found Rcpp a few days ago, I've been very excited collecting
> documents for learning. But still I find myself understand little.
> Here's a question I want you to help me with.
>
> In page 17 of Dirk and Romain's slides from part2 of the Apr 28 Rcpp
> workshop (here's a link:
> http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/papers/rcpp_workshop_part_2_details.pdf), I
> can't figure out why the two examples behave differently.
> And also, why are people using 1L:3L? What not just 1:3?

It happens that they are the same but only because 1:3 generates an
integer sequence by default.  Most of the time 1 gives a double
precision floating point number whereas 1L is an integer.  Those with
long-time experience in writing R code tend to use the L when they
know that an integer is wanted, just to bypass the conversion step.