[Rcpp-devel] RInside makefile on Windows

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Apr 22 20:00:54 CEST 2011

Hi Nathan,

On 22 April 2011 at 11:05, Nathan Johnson wrote:
| Hello,
|

| I have installed Rcpp, RInside, Rtools and other dependencies according to the
| instructions given on the Rcpp and RInside websites.
|

| Presently, I am having issues with the makefile provided in the RInside
| examples. I must confess that my experience with makefiles is minimal. Upon
| reviewing the web and this mailing list, I now come to bow before the coding
| gods to ask your advice.
|

| In the examples directory, here is the output from ?make -f Makefile.win? in
| the command prompt (I receive the same when run in a NetBeans project):
|
| ARGUMENT 'c:/PROGRA~1/R/R-2.12.2' __ignored__
|
| Fatal error: you must specify '--save', '--no-save' or '--vanilla'
|
| make: /bin/R: Command not found

You don't have RHOME defined:

## comment this out if you need a different version of R,
## and set set R_HOME accordingly as an environment variable
#R_HOME := 		$(shell R RHOME)

You could hardcode it to be, say.

    R_HOME :=  C:/R-2.12.2/

or whatever your value is.  The try 'make -f Makefile.win' again.

It should build ... and will then most likely segfault on start.  We really
need someone with a desire to have this working on Windows to contribute some
debugging help.  Neither Romain nor I care sufficiently enough about Windows,
working primarily on OS X and Linux, respectively.

Dirk

| make: /bin/R: Command not found
|
| make: /bin/R: Command not found
|
| make: /bin/R: Command not found
|
| /bin/R: not found
|
| /bin/R: not found
|
| /bin/R: not found
|
| /bin/R: not found
|
| make: /bin/R: Command not found
|
| make: /bin/R: Command not found
|
| make: /bin/R: Command not found
|
| make: /bin/R: Command not found
|
| Wall  -s  rinside_callbacks0.cpp        -o rinside_callbacks0
|
| make: Wall: Command not found
|
| make: [rinside_callbacks0] Error 127 (ignored)

| In Makefile.win, the only line I have changed is:
|
| R_HOME :=                         $(shell R c:/PROGRA~1/R/R-2.12.2)
|

| Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
|

| Running:
|
| Windows 7, 32-bit
|
| NetBeans 7.0
|
| R 2.12.2 (installed from pre-built libraries)
|
| Rtools (as detailed in The Windows Toolset appendix of the R Installation
| manual)
|
| Rcpp 0.9.4
|
| RInside 0.2.3
|
| Msys 1.0
|
| MinGW (most recent release on March-16)

Gauss checked the infinity of primes by counting them, starting
from the last.                     -- http://www.gaussfacts.com