[Rcpp-devel] data.frame from R to C++?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Apr 12 13:36:50 CEST 2011

On 12 April 2011 at 05:38, deqiang sun wrote:
| How should I read the txt in the following context?
| c3	3a
| c1	1b
| c2	2c
|
| The code I have is
| 		RInside R(argc, argv);
| 		SEXP ans;
|
| 		std::string txt = "a=read.csv('xxx.xls',sep='\t',head=F)";
| 		ans = R.parseEval(txt);
| 		Rcpp::DataFrame DF(ans);
|
| 		Rcpp::StringVector x1 = DF["V1"];
| 		Rcpp::StringVector x2 = DF["V2"];
|
| But the print of x1 and x2 is
| 3	3
| 1	1
| 2	2
|
| What's wrong with my code?

The read.csv() function and its cousins default to stringsAsFactors=TRUE.

So the '3 1 2' are the factor levels. You want either

    std::string txt = "a=read.csv('xxx.xls',sep='\t',"
                      "head=FALSE,stringsAsFactors=FALSE)";

or set it as a global option.  Google for stringsAsFactors, this is
documented and are ways around it.

Dirk

PS  I personally would also set column names in the data file or R code.