[Rcpp-devel] OpenMP and Rcpp - compiler error

Davor Cubranic cubranic at stat.ubc.ca
Thu Apr 7 20:25:34 CEST 2011

On 2011-04-06, at 9:45 PM, Michael Braun wrote:

> I've tried the MacPorts route, and it takes forever.  Perhaps this is a MacPorts problem, but I've found that it consumes all available system resources as it compiles all possible dependencies before even getting to the compilation of gcc.

Gcc ports hardly have that many dependencies[1], but you're right: some ports do take a very long time to compile. Whenever I'm upgrading the firefox port, I may as well leave my computer for an hour or so, because it really ties up the CPU while it's compiling.

On the other hand, I hardly ever see my gcc44 port change, so it's pretty much a one-time penalty. Just start the install before you head home for the day and it will be done by the time you get back the next morning. (Remember to turn off powersave sleep, though.)

Davor

[1]: gcc46 dependencies:

$ port rdeps gcc46
The following ports are dependencies of gcc46 @4.6-20110325_0: