[Rcpp-devel] Mac problem (possibly not Rcpp's fault)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Apr 5 23:03:43 CEST 2011

On 5 April 2011 at 16:38, Jay Emerson wrote:
| Success!  This student had Xcode 3.1.3, and the default behavior seems
| to be g++-4.0; after fixing up the symbolic link in /usr/bin to point
| g++ to g++-4.2, everything started working.  Hope this helps
| someone...

Ack -- I've added that too, so now we have

\subsection{I am having problems building Rcpp on OS X, any help ?}

OS X is a little more conservative with compiler versions, so it pays to get
the latest of whatever Apple releases which may already be a little behind
what is used on Linux or Windows.

At the time of writing this paragraph (in the spring of 2011), \pkg{Rcpp}
(just like CRAN) supports all OS X releases greater or equal to 10.5.
However, building \pkg{Rcpp} from source (or building packages using
\pkg{Rcpp}) also requires a recent-enough version of Xcode. For the
\textsl{Leopard} release of OS X, the current version is 3.1.4 which can be
downloaded free of charge from the Apple Developer site. Users may have to
manually select \code{g++-4.2} via the symbolic link \code{/usr/bin/g++}.
The \textsl{Snow Leopard} release already comes with Xcode 3.2.x and work as
is.

Thanks,  Dirk