[Rcpp-devel] Mac problem (possibly not Rcpp's fault)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Apr 5 18:14:32 CEST 2011

Hi Jay,

Thanks for posting here!

On 5 April 2011 at 11:59, Jay Emerson wrote:
| I've Rcpp-ified the new package bcp (Bayesian change point analysis)
| and it seems to work on Linux and Windows.  We're having some Mac
| problems (and I don't have a Mac).  I have one current and one past
| student, both getting similar problems in different ways.  For one,
| she started with (I think) Rcpp installing properly, but the RESULT 1
| bus error when trying to build bcp.  I recommended she rebuild R from
| scratch using updated everyting; after doing so, she got a similar bus
| error RESULT 2, this time in the process of trying to install Rcpp.
| The other student has the same bus error.
|
| I've exhausted my guesses and recommendations.  I note the same bus
| error appears in some RcppModel logs, at
|
| https://r-forge.r-project.org/R/?group_id=155&log=build_mac&pkg=RcppModels&flavor=patched
|
| ?? Any advice ??

Hm, it so happens that Romain committed something today (r2950) which seems
to be around the same or similar spot -- I have not been hit by anything like
it.  OS X uses g++ 4.2.1 which is starting to pose challenges as we are being
pushed at the same time to use g++ 4.5 and even 4.6 (now in Debian unstable
and already used by Kurt on CRAN tests).

We sort-of have 0.9.3 pre-releases; we are being hang-up by a modules issue
right now we are debugging. Rcpp 0.9.3 may help you -- can you and your
students try the version from my site at

   http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/code/rcpp/Rcpp_0.9.3.tar.gz

I just put a new tarball there that corresponds to r2956 which is very
current.  Passes R CMD check here... but it not 'officially released' so it
bites your cat and sets your car on fire none of that is our business :)

Romain may have more pertinent help for the OS X issues.

Dirk