[Rcpp-devel] [Rd] must .Call C functions return SEXP?

Dominick Samperi djsamperi at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 20:44:12 CEST 2010

See comments on Rcpp below.

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 11:28 AM, William Dunlap <wdunlap at tibco.com> wrote:

> [...]

This thread seems to suggest (following Bob Dylan) that one needs
to be very careful when using C/C++ to modify R's memory
directly, because you may modify other R variables that point
to the same memory (due to R's copy-by-value semantics and
optimizations).

What are the implications for the Rcpp package where R
objects are exposed to the C++ side in precisely this way,
permitting unrestricted modifications? (In the original
or "classic" version of this package direct writes to R's
memory were done only for performance reasons.)

Seems like extra precautions need to be taken to
avoid the aliasing problem.

Dominick

In R, .Call() does not copy its arguments but the C code