[Rcpp-devel] RCpp / RInside - problems at run time under Windows XP !

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Oct 12 13:09:39 CEST 2010

On 12 October 2010 at 10:54, Edoardo Sabatini wrote:
| Hi all developers,
|
| I have installed under Windows XP:
| - the latest release of R 2.12.0.RC
| - the RTools with MinGW
| - executed R CMD INSTALL c:\myrep\Rcpp_0.8.6.3.tar.gz
| - executed R CMD INSTALL c:\myrep\RInside_0.2.3.tar.gz
| - finally: executed make -f Makefile.win under
| c:\myrep\RInside\inst\examples\standard
| Finally, I have set the just PATH = %PATH%;C:\Program
| files\R\R-2.12.0rc\bin\i386
| and the enviroment with R_HOME = C:/Program files/R/R-2.12.0rc

All good. You could have used released versions R 2.11.1 and Rcpp 0.8.6 as
well but you correctly assembled a working set.

| When you execute from CMD > rinside_test0.exe, at run time it appears a dialog
| box with a fatal error without telling other thinks... :-(
| Maybe doesn't the DLL get along with Windows XP ?
| (FYI: it has found out the DLL libraries like R.dll etc...)
|
| Can you help me, please ?

That is a documented bug that is clearly mentioned under 'Status' on the
RInside page:

    (However, the examples which built and run under 0.2.1 currently build
    but segfault. This is probably fixable but we just haven't had the time
    or focus to do it. Linux and OS X work well enough for us.).

This error that has been present for some time on Windows.  We have not had
the time to debug it as we don't primarily work on Windows.  Help in fixing
it would be welcome.