[Rcpp-devel] Recommended procedure to depend on Rcpp

Romain Francois romain at r-enthusiasts.com
Wed Nov 17 17:36:19 CET 2010

Dear package maintainers and members of the Rcpp-devel mailing list,

Following the discussion that was trigerred by the (most welcome)
release of RSNNS, the cran maintainers have advised us about what they
consider the best way for a package to declare it depends on Rcpp.

The documentation will be updated before the next Rcpp release, but here
are the main points.

- In the DESCRIPTION file, you need at least these two lines:

Depends: Rcpp
LinkingTo: Rcpp

- In the Makevars file, you need this line:

PKG_LIBS = `$(R_HOME)/bin/Rscript -e "Rcpp:::LdFlags()"`

So no requirement on GNU make is needed as the use of backticks
supported to be portable.

- In the Makevars.win (where we can assume GNU make), you need this line:

PKG_LIBS = $(shell "${R_HOME}/bin${R_ARCH_BIN}/Rscript.exe" -e
"Rcpp:::LdFlags()")

  The documentation will include as usual the alternative version that
uses configure and configure.win files.

Those advices are from the CRAN maintainers, and we are very thankful.

Please update your packages to implement this, there is no need to wait
for another release of Rcpp, and it will only take a few minutes. There
are for example a few packages that are still not using LinkingTo: Rcpp
(bifactorial, cxxPack, mvabund, phylobase, sdcTable, pcaMethods)

Best regards,

Romain

--
Romain Francois