[Rcpp-devel] Dependence on GNU make because of $(shell)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Nov 17 16:19:49 CET 2010

On 17 November 2010 at 09:56, Shane Conway wrote:
| Dominick,
|
| My 2 cents:
|
| Nobody gets to decide when something is dead; it's more a consensus
| view driven by everyone who uses or contributes.  Looking back at the
| RcppTemplate archive, I think that characterization is pretty
| accurate: http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Archive/cxxPack/Ancestry/.
|  A similar look at the most recent version of Rcpp shows that it's
| alive and well: http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Archive/Rcpp/.
| We should all be nothing but thankful that Dirk and Romain stepped in
| and contributed so much.

Thanks for the support and kind words, Shane!  Much appreciated.

| You are mentioned in every Rcpp source file and in the package
| documentation.  Beyond that, the old package was most definitely dead.

Minor clarification below.

Mr Samperi is credited in DESCRIPTION, in the inst/README, in the
introductory vignette, on my main Rcpp webpage, ... as well as in those
source files that reflect the lineage to his code and classes from the 2005
to 2006 spell, aka the pre-"dead and rotting" area:

edd at max:~/svn/rcpp/pkg/Rcpp$ grep -c Samperi inst/include/*h inst/include/*/*h | grep -v ":0$"
inst/include/RcppCommon.h:1
inst/include/Rcpp.h:1
inst/include/classic/RcppDate.h:1
inst/include/classic/RcppDateVector.h:1
inst/include/classic/RcppFrame.h:1
inst/include/classic/RcppFunction.h:1
inst/include/classic/RcppMatrix.h:1
inst/include/classic/RcppMatrixView.h:1
inst/include/classic/RcppNumList.h:1
inst/include/classic/RcppParams.h:1
inst/include/classic/RcppResultSet.h:1
inst/include/classic/RcppStringVector.h:1
inst/include/classic/RcppStringVectorView.h:1
inst/include/classic/RcppVector.h:1
inst/include/classic/RcppVectorView.h:1
edd at max:~/svn/rcpp/pkg/Rcpp$ grep -c Samperi src/*cpp | grep -v ":0$"
src/RcppCommon.cpp:1
src/RcppDate.cpp:1
src/RcppDateVector.cpp:1
src/RcppFrame.cpp:1
src/RcppFunction.cpp:1
src/RcppNumList.cpp:1
src/RcppParams.cpp:1
src/RcppResultSet.cpp:1
src/RcppStringVector.cpp:1
src/RcppStringVectorView.cpp:1
edd at max:~/svn/rcpp/pkg/Rcpp$

There are by now quite a few more source files in the Rcpp archives. These of
course also all give credit to their authors and copyright holders, among
them Doug Bates, John Chambers, Romain and myself as well others where code
was imported (eg gmtime() etc from Arthur Olson via R Core, Boost for
preprocesspor magic and so on.)