[Rcpp-devel] Dependence on GNU make because of $(shell)

Romain Francois romain at r-enthusiasts.com
Tue Nov 16 21:55:48 CET 2010

Dominick,

Le 16/11/10 21:38, Dominick Samperi a écrit :
> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org
> <mailto:edd at debian.org>> wrote:
>

>     Hi Christoph,
>
>     On 16 November 2010 at 15:59, Christoph Bergmeir wrote:
>     | Hi Rcpp list,
>     | the CRAN maintainers still don't seem to be too happy about the
>     dependence on GNU make that gets introduced by $(shell) in the
>     Makevars files.
>     | The package I recently submitted to CRAN, RSNNS, uses exactly the
>     same mechanism as proposed in the Rcpp vignette or is implemented
>     e.g. in termstrc and many other Rcpp packages.
>     | Brian Ripley proposed now in an email on CRAN at r-project.org
>     <mailto:CRAN at r-project.org> to just use:
>     | PKG_LIBS = `$(R_HOME)/bin/Rscript -e "Rcpp:::LdFlags()"`
>     | Is this a solution? Or are there other drawbacks?
>
>     It's a somewhat long story.
>
>     It's been about two years since I started to maintain and extend the
>     Rcpp
>     package which its previous maintainer had left dead and rotting in the
>     digital archives for two years already at that point.
>

> Correction here. That package that was left "dead and rotting" on CRAN
> was updated by its author (that would be me) in November of 2009 to
> include object-mapping features that were later reimplemented in what
> is now known as the Rcpp package.The syntax used for these features
> in Rcpp is Rcpp::as and Rcpp:wrap.

wrap and as for which I took the lead have nothing to do with any code
you wrote, whatever you want to believe, whatever you want people that
read you to believe. I personally don't think I'd ever want to import
ideas from your code. I'm creative enough as it is.

> Shortly after I released this work the following comment was added to
> the README file for Rcpp (version 0.8.3):
>
> "As of November 2009, Dominick has re-commenced maintenance of RcppTemplate
> with new releases on CRAN.  This may provide a good opportunity to import
> some new ideas into Rcpp as well, time permitting."

again with this ! this was "may" not "will" and it just never happened !
this sentence is no longer in the README, simply because we just never
import ideas from your RcppTemplate, just as much as we are not
imoprting ideas from your cxxPack or whetever name you'll give to the
next versions.  It just happened that we can come up with better ideas
on our own.

> Thus the linkage to previous work is not quite what the "dead and rotting"
> comment above would have you believe.

Romain

--
Romain Francois