[Rcpp-devel] finding an undefined symbol

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Thu Nov 4 15:44:51 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 2:22 PM, Andrew Redd <amredd at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm writing a rather complicated package using CUDA and Rcpp.  I have
> everything compile and link ok, but when loading I get a
>> "unable to load shared object ..."
>> "... undefined symbol:  _ZN5data39initSwabsESt6vector..."
> Does anyone have any advice how to fix this and/or figure out what exactly
> the problem is?

First you need to demangle the name.  On Linux systems there is a
utility called c++filt which, for this symbol shows

$ echo _ZN5data39initSwabsESt6vector | c++filt
data3::initSwabs(std::vector)

The most likely cause of the problem is that you have the CUDA package
headers in the -I list when you compile but not the library in the -L
list when linking.