[Rcpp-devel] Rcpp & static variables

Giuseppe Milicia Giuseppe.Milicia at makoglobal.com
Thu May 6 13:12:23 CEST 2010

Dirk,

Unfortunately the pieces of code that use static variables are lost in the depth of my libraries.

I used to mix R and Java using rJava, when you do that you can keep object references in R rather easily, that is not immediately possible with Rcpp. Somehow I didn't think about static variables (after all we just have a shared library loaded by the R process), so now I'm using static variables to make my system stateful, it seems to work rather nicely :)

In a Rcpp document I read (can't find it anymore, perhaps an old vignette?) there was a paragraph about Rcpp being stateless, perhaps the vignette could mention that you can use static variables to keep state around? It's obvious on hindsight, but somehow I didn't connect the dots when I started to using Rcpp...

Cheers,

//Giuseppe