[Rcpp-devel] Is declaring an argument as a reference the same as declaring it a pointer?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Mar 28 01:21:46 CET 2010

On 27 March 2010 at 19:56, Whit Armstrong wrote:
| All the newer c++ matrix template libraries are very good.  I like
| Armadillo in particular with MTL as a close second.
|
| As much of a pain as it is to learn a new library, you code will be
| infinitely more readable if you use a matrix library.
|
| here are the operator examples from MTL4 and Armadillo for reference:
|
| http://osl.iu.edu/research/mtl/mtl4/doc/matrix__vector__expr.html
| http://arma.sourceforge.net/docs.html#operators

And as Romain pointed out before the template programming means that we're
saving temporary objects.  So it can be cleaner to read and be more
efficient, now that compilers have caught up.

| My secret desire is to implement R using Armadillo as the core data
| structures...

Ha :)  Talk to Andrew Runnalls about how his CXXR reimplementation is coming
along.  He has a new object structure in there but alas no sign of Armadillo.

  Registration is open for the 2nd International conference R / Finance 2010
  See http://www.RinFinance.com for details, and see you in Chicago in April!