[Rcpp-devel] Only 64-bit version of RcppArmadillo gets installed

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Mar 20 04:09:16 CET 2010

Davor,

Thanks for the bugreports.  Looks like you found one in Armadillo 0.9.0...

On 19 March 2010 at 14:53, Davor Cubranic wrote:
| OS X Snow Leopard with R 2.10.1
|
| I installed Rcpp, RcppArmadillo, and RcppExamples from SVN head a day or two ago, and noticed that Rcpp and RcppExamples are installed in both 32- and 64-bit versions, as opposed to only the 64-bit version of RcppArmadillo package.
|
| My version of libarmadillo is a universal library that includes both 32- and 64-bit flavours, BTW:
|
| $ file /usr/local/lib/libarmadillo.dylib
| /usr/local/lib/libarmadillo.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
| /usr/local/lib/libarmadillo.dylib (for architecture i386):	Mach-O dynamically linked shared library i386
| /usr/local/lib/libarmadillo.dylib (for architecture x86_64):	Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64
|
| Any suggestions how to get RcppArmadillo to install in both versions?

There are two issues here.

First, it took us some effort (and help by Simon U) to get Rcpp to fit into
the OS X framework and triple builds. The fact that we need R to do this, and
that R does not exactly support "libraries" such as Rcpp (even when they are
"shipped" as package via install.packages or update.packages) is one problem.
Another problem is that we never know how users get it. Some people get Rcpp
from the pre-built OS X versions, some build from source.   That seems to be
mostly under control.

Second, actual packages are a little different.  RcppExamples has a very
simple src/Makevars, and I am happy to hear that you get two builds from it. I
guess that is how it is supposed to be.  RcppArmadillo does not much more and
if I did something wrong there with configure.in that you can improve upon
I'd love to hear it. At least you can test it -- I can't (on OS X).

But speak slowly. I never owned a Mac and with this I don't think I am
becoming more likely to get one.  But Romain now has one so maybe he is game
for playing along with you.

Cheers, Dirk

--
  Registration is open for the 2nd International conference R / Finance 2010
  See http://www.RinFinance.com for details, and see you in Chicago in April!