[Rcpp-devel] Trouble installing RInside

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Jul 14 16:53:49 CEST 2010

(CC to list added for closure)

On 14 July 2010 at 16:29, Peter Rhone wrote:
| Thanks for the quick response. I found the error: g++ was a symlink from
| my ~/bin to colorgcc. I temporarily renamed my ~/bin and tried it again
| and everything worked as it should. Strange that it worked for Rcpp
| though...

Good to know it works for you.

I sometime add softlinks in /usr/local/bin/ for gcc/g++/gfortran to

  ccache       		 nice acceleration if the files change rarely
  distcc		 parallel builds if you have a cluster

but I also noticed occassional issues -- an alternative is this in ~/.R/Makevars

  #CC=ccache gcc
  #CXX=ccache g++
  #FC=ccache gfortran
  #F77=ccache gfortran

but it can be an issue with R CMD check.

Dirk

| Thanks again!
| -Peter
|
| On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 15:38 +0200, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| > On 14 July 2010 at 15:20, Peter Rhone wrote:
| > | Hello,
| > |
| > | I'm working on a Ubuntu Lucid (10.04) workstation and am trying to
| > | install RInside.
| > |
| > | I have the following R packages installed through the package management
| > | system:
| > |
| > | i   r-base                          - GNU R statistical computation
| > | i A r-base-core                     - GNU R core of statistical
| > | i A r-base-dev                      - GNU R installation of auxiliary
| > | i A r-base-html                     - GNU R html docs for statistical
| > | i A r-cran-boot                     - GNU R package for bootstrapping
| > | i A r-cran-class                    - GNU R package for classification
| > | i A r-cran-cluster                  - GNU R package for cluster analysis
| > | i A r-cran-codetools                - GNU R package providing code
| > | i A r-cran-foreign                  - GNU R package to read/write data
| > | i A r-cran-kernsmooth               - GNU R package for kernel
| > | i A r-cran-lattice                  - GNU R package for 'Trellis'
| > | i A r-cran-mass                     - GNU R package of Venables and
| > | i A r-cran-matrix                   - GNU R package of classes for dense
| > | i A r-cran-mgcv                     - GNU R package for multiple
| > | i A r-cran-nlme                     - GNU R package for (non-)linear
| > | i A r-cran-nnet                     - GNU R package for feed-forward
| > | i A r-cran-rpart                    - GNU R package for recursive
| > | i A r-cran-spatial                  - GNU R package for spatial
| > | i A r-cran-survival                 - GNU R package for survival
| > | i A r-doc-html                      - GNU R html manuals for statistical
| > | i A r-recommended                   - GNU R collection of recommended
| >
| > Good. You could also get r-cran-rcpp from Ubuntu, but it would be dated to
| > whenever the last snapshot was.
| >
| > | I downloaded both Rcpp_0.8.4.tar.gz and RInside_0.2.2.tar.gz. I could
| > | install Rcpp without any problems:
| > |
| > |
| > | peter at beluga:~/Downloads/R$ R CMD INSTALL Rcpp_0.8.4.tar.gz
| > | WARNING: ignoring environment value of R_HOME
| > | * installing to library ‘/home/peter/R/library’
| > | * installing *source* package ‘Rcpp’ ...
| > | ** libs
| > | g++ -I/usr/share/R/include -I../inst/include/     -fpic  -g -O2 -c
| > | Date.cpp -o Date.o
| > [... all good...]
| > | * DONE (Rcpp)
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | ...but RInside failed:
| > |
| > | peter at beluga:~/Downloads/R$ R CMD INSTALL RInside_0.2.2.tar.gz
| > | WARNING: ignoring environment value of R_HOME
| > | * installing to library ‘/home/peter/R/library’
| > | * installing *source* package ‘RInside’ ...
| > | ** libs
| > | ** arch -
| > | /usr/lib64/R/bin/R --vanilla --slave < tools/RInsideEnvVars.r >
| > | RInsideEnvVars.h
| > | /usr/lib64/R/bin/R --vanilla --slave < tools/RInsideAutoloads.r >
| > | RInsideAutoloads.h
| > | g++  -I/usr/share/R/include  -Wall -I/usr/share/R/include
| > | -I/home/peter/R/library/Rcpp/include     -fpic  -I.
| > | -I/usr/share/R/include -g -O2  -c MemBuf.cpp -o MemBuf.o
| > | /bin/bash: g++: command not found
| >   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| >
| > That seems inconsistent with what you have shown above. Either you have g++
| > or you don't.  Did you do any tricks with your installation?
| >
| > For what it is worth, I just hit
| >
| >     R CMD INSTALL ~/www/code/rinside/RInside_0.2.2.tar.fz
| >
| > ie using the very tarball you downloaded and it installs just fine.
| >
| > So so far, this would appear to be an issue local to your system.
| >
| > Dirk
| >
| > | make: *** [MemBuf.o] Error 127
| > | ERROR: compilation failed for package ‘RInside’
| > | * removing ‘/home/peter/R/library/RInside’
| > |
| > |
| > | The result is the same if I try to install it from within R using
| > | install.packages("RInside",lib="~/R/library")
| > |
| > | I have set R_HOME and R_LIBS_USER
| > | export R_HOME="/usr"
| > | export R_LIBS_USER="~/R/library"