[Rcpp-devel] Rcpp 0.8.3 and those other operating systems

Romain Francois romain at r-enthusiasts.com
Tue Jul 6 21:04:08 CEST 2010

Le 06/07/10 20:54, Dominick Samperi a écrit :
> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Romain Francois
> <romain at r-enthusiasts.com <mailto:romain at r-enthusiasts.com>> wrote:
>
>         (http://win-builder.r-project.org/), and
>         yes, using
>         this service as part of integration testing before releasing to CRAN
>         will reduce
>         the number of problems for client packages that use Rcpp. 1000 unit
>         tests will
>         not help.
>         Indeed, this should be required given that you do not use or test
>         under Windows, yet there are many Windows users.
>

>     This is just plain wrong. We do test on windows. We obviously want
>     it to work on windows.
>
> Good to know. This was hard to see given the dismissive comments about
> Windows made
> earlier in this thread.

I don't like windows at all, but people seem to use it.

>     As I said to you privately, releasing this version was higher on our
>     (mainly mine) priority list because I wanted to demonstrate the
>     released version. I though I had time to alert you but my time has
>     been sinked by the conference, and the wireless connection was not
>     all that good.
>

> Are you prepared to make Dirk's assurance more precise by stating that
> in the future
> releases will not be done if known incompatibilities are introduced with
> client packages
> that will cause the build of those client packages to fail?

no. see this in about every single file:

// Rcpp is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
// WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
// MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
// GNU General Public License for more details.

> You are of
> course free to set your
> priorities as you see fit

how nice of you

> but client package authors need to understand
> these priorities.

no comment ... not even a sarcasm

--
Romain Francois