[Rcpp-devel] R CMD check not happy about -std=c++0x

Romain François francoisromain at free.fr
Fri Jan 15 14:26:03 CET 2010

On 01/15/2010 02:15 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> On 15 January 2010 at 08:27, Romain François wrote:
> | I'm getting a warning when I try to build my CPP package that depends on
> | Rcpp and uses the classic Makevars :
> |
> | PKG_CXXFLAGS=`Rcpp:::CxxFlags()` -I.
> | PKG_LIBS=`Rcpp:::LdFlags()`
> |

> | I get this warning from R CMD check :
> |
> | * checking for portable compilation flags in Makevars ... WARNING
> | Non-portable flags in variable 'PKG_CXXFLAGS':
> |    -std=c++0x
>
> I also noticed that yesterday working on another package using Rcpp.  I think
> we need to fix this.

Rcpp:::CxxFlags() will only include "-std=c++0x" when we know we can use
it : GCC >= 4.3

but there is no way to tell R CMD that "this is alright, go on".

We can subvert the test if we explicitely define how to compile and
link, i.e something like this (although it does not work)

RCPP_CXXFLAGS=`Rcpp:::CxxFlags()` -I.
PKG_LIBS=`Rcpp:::LdFlags()`

# this tricks R CMD SHLIB so that it does not compile
# anything
OBJECTS=

all: compile link

compile:
	$(CXX) $(ALL_CPPFLAGS) $(ALL_CXXFLAGS) $(RCPP_CXXFLAGS) .....

link:
	$(SHLIB_CXXLD) -o $(pkg)$(DYLIB_EXT) $^ $(SHLIB_CXXLDFLAGS) $(PKG_LIBS)

I've played with this, but since I don't understand Makefile, this does
not work. Someone with makefile skills would make sense of it I suppose.

Too dumb here.

Romain

--
Romain Francois