No subject

Thu Aug 26 12:23:38 CEST 2010

Perhaps they are doing maintenance of some kind...

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Romain Francois
<romain at r-enthusiasts.com>wrote:

> Dominick,
>
> I've commited a variation of your patch in Rcpp now. Let me know if that
> works for you.
>
> I've put the new headers in inst/include/Rcpp/msvc instead of
> inst/include/msvc to lower chances of clashes with other software.
>
> I've also modified msvcmath.cpp so that when this is not used in MSVC,
> there is some dummy symbol compiled, otherwise R CMD INSTALL complains. I=
'm
> surprised you did not see that when you tested it.
>
> Not that I care, but I'm slightly surprised at the implementation of log1=
> :
>
> double log1p(double x) {
>    if(x <=3D -1.0)
>        throw std::range_error("log1p: arg <=3D -1");
>    if(fabs(x) > 1.e-4)
>        return log(1.0 + x);
>    return (-0.5*x + 1.0)*x;
> }
>
> specifically that it throws an exception
>
> Romain
>

> Le 20/08/10 17:38, Dominick Samperi a =E9crit :
>
>> On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 2:27 AM, Romain Francois
>> <romain at r-enthusiasts.com <mailto:romain at r-enthusiasts.com>> wrote:
>>
>>    I have not seen any of these files. But note that, as Dirk said
>>    before, please send patches rather than full copy of modified files.
>>
>>     >From some directory of your modified Rcpp tree, just do :
>>
>>    $ svn diff > mypatch.diff
>>
>>    and send that file, that should be ok.
>>
>>    If you want to add files with this mechanism, you can. Just do
>>
>>    $ svn add whatever/file
>>    $ svn diff > mypatch.diff
>>
>>    The only thing you cannot do is svn commit.
>>

>> The diff file msvc.patch.txt is attached, along with the three new .h
>> files that
>> should go into Rcpp/inst/include/msvc (or something else if you prefer).
>>
>> While I could 'svn add Rcpp/src/msvcmath.cpp' I could not do this
>> for the .h files because the directory Rcpp/inst/include/msvc does not
>> exist,
>> and I couldn't create it.
>>
>> These changes will permit compilation with Visual C++. The warning level
>> needs to be changed from the default to prevent a large number of
>> warning messages. The main purpose would be to check that the
>> C++ code is portable. If these changes are added you probably want to
>> note that MSVC is not officially (or even unofficially) supported.
>>
>> On the tags/branches question, it appears that all projects on R-Forge a=
re
>> laid out without the usual tags and branches subdirectories.Is this due =
>> restrictions at R-Forge? I guess the way to fetch files corresponding to
>> a particular CRAN release is to get versions that were current at the
>> time that the CRAN release happened, right?

> [...]

--00235445b896449019048e699646

There appears to be a problem with the svn server (R-Forge).<br><br>When I =
try to update (or checkout) I get:<br>svn: Can&#39;t find a temporary direc=
tory: Internal error<br><br>From what I could find on the Internet this is =
a server problem.<br>
"gmail_quote">On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Romain Francois <span dir=3D=
"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:romain at r-enthusiasts.com">romain at r-enthusiasts.=
r-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">Dominick,<br>
I&#39;ve commited a variation of your patch in Rcpp now. Let me know if tha=
t works for you.<br>
I&#39;ve put the new headers in inst/include/Rcpp/msvc instead of inst/incl=
ude/msvc to lower chances of clashes with other software.<br>
I&#39;ve also modified msvcmath.cpp so that when this is not used in MSVC, =
there is some dummy symbol compiled, otherwise R CMD INSTALL complains. I&#=
39;m surprised you did not see that when you tested it.<br>
Not that I care, but I&#39;m slightly surprised at the implementation of lo=
g1p :<br>
double log1p(double x) {<br>
 =A0 =A0if(x &lt;=3D -1.0)<br>
 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0throw std::range_error(&quot;log1p: arg &lt;=3D -1&quot;);<=
br>
 =A0 =A0if(fabs(x) &gt; 1.e-4)<br>
 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0return log(1.0 + x);<br>
 =A0 =A0return (-0.5*x + 1.0)*x;<br>
}<br>
specifically that it throws an exception<br><font color=3D"#888888">
Le 20/08/10 17:38, Dominick Samperi a =E9crit :<br>
tyle=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204=
); padding-left: 1ex;">
On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 2:27 AM, Romain Francois<br>
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:romain at r-enthusiasts.com" target=3D"_blank">romain at r-=
enthusiasts.com</a> &lt;mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:romain at r-enthusiasts.com" =
target=3D"_blank">romain at r-enthusiasts.com</a>&gt;&gt; wrote:<br>
 =A0 =A0I have not seen any of these files. But note that, as Dirk said<br>
 =A0 =A0before, please send patches rather than full copy of modified files=
.<br>
 =A0 =A0 &gt;From some directory of your modified Rcpp tree, just do :<br>
 =A0 =A0$ svn diff &gt; mypatch.diff<br>
 =A0 =A0and send that file, that should be ok.<br>
 =A0 =A0If you want to add files with this mechanism, you can. Just do<br>
 =A0 =A0$ svn add whatever/file<br>
 =A0 =A0$ svn diff &gt; mypatch.diff<br>
 =A0 =A0The only thing you cannot do is svn commit.<br>
The diff file msvc.patch.txt is attached, along with the three new .h<br>
files that<br>
should go into Rcpp/inst/include/msvc (or something else if you prefer).<br=

While I could &#39;svn add Rcpp/src/msvcmath.cpp&#39; I could not do this<b=
r>
for the .h files because the directory Rcpp/inst/include/msvc does not<br>
exist,<br>
and I couldn&#39;t create it.<br>
These changes will permit compilation with Visual C++. The warning level<br=

needs to be changed from the default to prevent a large number of<br>
warning messages. The main purpose would be to check that the<br>
C++ code is portable. If these changes are added you probably want to<br>
note that MSVC is not officially (or even unofficially) supported.<br>
On the tags/branches question, it appears that all projects on R-Forge are<=
br>
laid out without the usual tags and branches subdirectories.Is this due to<=
br>
restrictions at R-Forge? I guess the way to fetch files corresponding to<br=

a particular CRAN release is to get versions that were current at the<br>
time that the CRAN release happened, right?<br>
Thanks,<br>
Dominick<br>
-- <br>
Romain Francois<br>