[Rcpp-devel] On mailing list defaults, and suggested patch submission

Dominick Samperi djsamperi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 16:12:00 CEST 2010

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 7:54 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:

> This list runs with standard defaults of Mailman, a popular choice for
> running mailing list, as set up by R-Forge.
>
> In particular, message limits are 40kb. Larger messages are held and then
> create admin work. Yesterday, an attempt to send a 90kb message got
> rejected,
> and I as list owner got the bounce.  The message (according to its body)
> claimed to contain "patches" to source code in Rcpp, yet it looked like it
> contained full copies of the files.

It appears that the post got through in spite of the "rejection"?

At any rate, I tried to submit these changes three times, first a list
of changes spelled out so that Rcpp would compile using MSVC.
Then as a private correspondence to Romain who said he would
ignore the submission because it was not posted to the list. And
finally as a post to this list, which resulted in my contributions
being rejected.

These changes consist of just a few small changes to existing
code (all ifdef-ed _MSC_VER so they have no impact on CRAN
builds), and three new files. Obviously I cannot generate context
diffs for new files, and the trivial changes to existing files can
be found by grep-ing for _MSC_VER.

Dominick