[Rcpp-devel] Rcpp and VC++ (was: How get colnames and rownames in Rcpp method?)

Dominick Samperi djsamperi at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 16:58:04 CEST 2010

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 6:46 AM, Romain Francois <romain at r-enthusiasts.com>wrote:

> I don't have bandwidth right now to test any of this. As you say VC++ is
> not supported by CRAN anyway.
>
> Have you tried building client packages with VC++, as this is more likely
> to start getting problematic at that stage. Due to templates lazyness, most
> of the code of Rcpp is not actually compiled in Rcpp, but if/when needed by
> the client code.

I tested with several clients (that use both Rcpp and cxxPack) and it works
fine, but I have
not run all of the unit tests. The VC++ IDE is only used to build the DLL's
(and check that
everything can be compiled). These DLL's can simply be copied over the ones
created
by MinGW, and R will handle them without problems. This required some DLL
special
processing, and the fact that it works is surprising given the comments in
http://www.mingw.org/wiki/MixingCompilers.

I did not test the possibility of running R inside the IDE as this would
require building R inside
the IDE, which I have not tried to do.

Romain