[Rcpp-devel] Using loess() from Rcpp

Davor Cubranic cubranic at stat.ubc.ca
Thu Apr 8 00:03:17 CEST 2010

Thank you both, Dirk and Romain, for the advice and to Romain for adding the Formula class. And I apologize for the unclear question. I was asking two or three things, but none of them directly. That's what happens when I try to fire off an email late in the afternoon the last workday before a vacation.

What I had meant was, firstly, how to pass the formula to 'loess'. I appreciate Romain's adding the Formula class, and will use it once it's out in a release. In the meantime, I actually read the R docs a bit more carefully, and realized I could just use the 'formula' function, i.e., Function("formula")("y~x"). But using the Formula class is cleaner and more readable, so I'll switch once I can.

As for my DSL remark, I still think it would be nice to have a C++ operator that worked like R's '~' and produced a Formula instance from NumericVectors. It's not important, really -- maybe it's something I could attempt once I understand meta-templates and Rcpp's internals. Although, as I think about it, I've no idea how it could be done, given that 'y' and 'x' in 'y~x' are just symbols that have no connection to my NumericVector instances 'x' and 'y'.

Lastly, I was wondering if anyone had just used 'loess_raw' directly from Rcpp code, without going through R and 'loess' at all. Again, this may be something I'll explore down the road if I really have to, since I now have code that does the right thing simply and works correctly. :-)

Davor