[Rcpp-devel] Problem compling rinside_sample0 on OSX

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Tue Apr 6 14:34:35 CEST 2010

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 5:19 AM, Romain Francois
<romain at r-enthusiasts.com> wrote:
> Le 06/04/10 12:14, Dirk Eddelbuettel a écrit :
>> Hi Dan,
>>
>> Thanks for switching to the list.
>>
>> On 5 April 2010 at 22:12, Dan Kulp wrote:
>> | Hey,
>> |   I just installed Rcpp RInside successful using CRAN, but when I try to
>> | "make rinside_sample0" I get the following linking errors:
>> |
>> | ld warning: option -s is obsolete and being ignored
>> | Undefined symbols:
>> |   "SEXPREC* Rcpp::grow<Rcpp::Named>(Rcpp::Named const&, SEXPREC*)",
>> | referenced from:
>> |       SEXPREC* Rcpp::pairlist<Rcpp::Function, Rcpp::Named,
>> | Rcpp::Named>(Rcpp::Function const&, Rcpp::Named const&, Rcpp::Named
>> | const&)in libRInside.a(RInside.o)
>> |       SEXPREC* Rcpp::pairlist<Rcpp::Function, Rcpp::Named,
>> | Rcpp::Named>(Rcpp::Function const&, Rcpp::Named const&, Rcpp::Named
>> | const&)in libRInside.a(RInside.o)
>> | ld: symbol(s) not found
>> | collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> | make: *** [rinside_sample0] Error 1
>>
>> I think I just had that yesterday at work -- you do have to be careful to use
>> _matching_ RInside and Rcpp releases.  Which I why going with CRAN is a good
>> option.
>>
>> Using the _released_ versions 0.7.11 for Rcpp and 0.2.2 for RInside should
>> 'just work'.   As Romain said, please send along the version numbers you used.
>
> Totally. It seems though that when you install from cran you get Rcpp
> 0.7.10 even though cran advertizes 0.7.11, but I did not try all mirrors.

It is not uncommon for the OS X binaries on CRAN to lag the other
versions of a package.  It seems that building the OS X binaries is
more involved than even the Windows binaries.

I solve the problem of lagging OS X binaries by installing Linux on
any Macs I use and ignoring the OS X system.  Now if only I could get
around the stupid 1-button mouse and bizarre key mappings.  :-)

(The true sign of a died-in-the-wool Macophile is when they try to
convince why a 1-button mouse is really a good idea.)