[Rcpp-devel] Problem compling rinside_sample0 on OSX

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Apr 6 12:14:53 CEST 2010

Hi Dan,

Thanks for switching to the list.

On 5 April 2010 at 22:12, Dan Kulp wrote:
| Hey,
|   I just installed Rcpp RInside successful using CRAN, but when I try to
| "make rinside_sample0" I get the following linking errors:
|
| ld warning: option -s is obsolete and being ignored
| Undefined symbols:
|   "SEXPREC* Rcpp::grow<Rcpp::Named>(Rcpp::Named const&, SEXPREC*)",
| referenced from:
|       SEXPREC* Rcpp::pairlist<Rcpp::Function, Rcpp::Named,
| Rcpp::Named>(Rcpp::Function const&, Rcpp::Named const&, Rcpp::Named
| const&)in libRInside.a(RInside.o)
|       SEXPREC* Rcpp::pairlist<Rcpp::Function, Rcpp::Named,
| Rcpp::Named>(Rcpp::Function const&, Rcpp::Named const&, Rcpp::Named
| const&)in libRInside.a(RInside.o)
| ld: symbol(s) not found
| collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
| make: *** [rinside_sample0] Error 1

I think I just had that yesterday at work -- you do have to be careful to use
_matching_ RInside and Rcpp releases.  Which I why going with CRAN is a good
option.

Using the _released_ versions 0.7.11 for Rcpp and 0.2.2 for RInside should
'just work'.   As Romain said, please send along the version numbers you used.

| Is this an OSX specific thing, or is the example code not sync'd with the
| library from CRAN?.... or something else?

We do try to make pretty sure that this works for _released_ versions.

Rcpp tends to change a lot so there sometimes is something changing at its
side that may not yet be reflected at the RInside side. We try to minimise
that but it happens. Sticking with the releases should help as a remedy.

Thanks, Dirk

--
  Registration is open for the 2nd International conference R / Finance 2010
  See http://www.RinFinance.com for details, and see you in Chicago in April!