[Rcpp-devel] experimental handling of uncaught exceptions

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Dec 28 23:52:56 CET 2009

On 28 December 2009 at 10:58, Romain François wrote:
| Are there cases where the libRcpp.{so,a} is used but the Rcpp package is
| not available ?

I recalled having seen this question and that I never replied.  What exactly
did you mean?

What can happen is that

     a) Rcpp is installed
     b) other packages see Rcpp.h and libRcpp.so and can build against it
     c) Rcpp ("the package") is never loaded

That is pretty common, I think. And it kinda makes the onAttach tricky (but
then user can always do it).

The Rcpp package is really several things:

     d) an easy to get to the user via install.packages() and update.packages()
     e) that gets them the lib and header as per b)
     f) a minimal library that get loaded with the package -- but, and that
        is important, only contains RcppExample() !! so I have thought about
        splitting that off into a package RcppUsage or RcppExample or something
        which would show how to build against Rcpp

| We could have it all in C, but this leads to more complicated code. See
| the file rJava.c attached for how Simon does it in rJava. (look between
| hack and hack)

I'd rather avoid C.