[RQt-devel] General question about the future of Qt and R/bioconductor

Jason S. Iacovoni jason.iacovoni at inserm.fr
Tue Apr 9 09:51:27 CEST 2013

Dear List

I have previously developed a lot of GUIs for my bioinformatics programs
using Qt (in C++). But nowadays, I find I spend most of my time in R. Thus
I was initially quite excited when I found out about visnab, ggobi,
exploRase and qtbase. Before I start porting my library into R, I want to
know what exactly is the planned future for qtbase. While I understand that
SMOKE does a lot of the work bringing Qt into R, is it possible that this
package will become abandoned in the future?

>From my googling and list reading, it seems that visnab is not active and
that ggobi is mentioned as the current project. But in looking at
exploRase, which imports rggobi, it appears to use Gtk2 and not Qt. At the
same time, I see that getting a Windows package for qtbase is moving
forward. But this particular list seems very quiet, almost too quiet, so I
am hesitant.

In any event, I am very confused about the present and the future of qtbase
as the library looks perfectly suitable for me to port my C++/Qt code into
R. But I would hate to get started on this only to find that developers are
moving off to other GUI toolkits and find that my library depends on an
abandoned project.

Finally, I seem to be finding myself learning loads of packages that list
Michael Lawrence as an author. Is this really one single person? Are there
clones available for hire?

Thanks
jiaco