[RQt-devel] Windows binary for qtbase

Michael Lawrence lawrence.michael at gene.com
Thu Nov 10 13:05:51 CET 2011

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 10:15 PM, Ben Goodrich <bgokgm at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I see version 1.0 of qtbase has been on Bioconductor for a few days.
> Congrats!
>
> Does anyone know why Bioconductor builds Mac binaries for qtbase but
> not Windows binaries? I don't actually need a Windows binary
> personally, but it's an issue for making a package that depends on
> qtbase. If it is the case that Bioconductor doesn't have the right
> tools to build it on Windows, can qtbase get updated to 1.0 on R-forge
> to generate a Windows binary?

We are working on a Windows binary. It means a fairly significant change to
the Bioc build system (using the MinGW shell instead of the standard
command.exe). I think we have a much better chance of convincing Bioc to
make these types of changes, handle all of the system dependencies, etc,
compared to R Forge. The build process for the Qt stuff is really complex.
Should be easy for the user though, once we figure it out.