[RQt-devel] qtbase mac issues resolved

hadley wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 04:07:20 CET 2010

>>  But then we need
>> to figure out how to document it in a way that works with the usual R
>> documentation style.
>
> Since the bindings are dynamic, the documentation should probably also be
> dynamic.

Well, for the existing qt stuff, yes, but we also need to document the
components in qtpaint. Although it's sounding like most of qtbase will
just be R code which can be documented with the usual mechanisms.

> I was thinking of using the R help server to do this. The hard part
> is the source of the docs. I'm sure this would transformed from the Qt docs.
> The issue is that installation of the Qt docs is optional (as it takes up a
> lot of space).  But it's possible to access it programmatically, which is
> nice. One problem is that this would only work through a web-browser, not
> from within R. It might be possible to use the dynamic Rd features. Have to
> look into it.

Sounds interesting.

> A variant on this would be transforming the docs (from C++ to R) at run-time
> and then displaying in QtAssistant, which is a much nicer help interface
> compared to R's.

That does look interesting. This summer (fingers crossed) I will have
some funding from revolutions computing to look into R documentation
in general, and I'll have to take a more in depth look at QtAssistant.

Hadley

http://had.co.nz/