[RQt-devel] building out of source tree

Michael Lawrence lawrence.michael at gene.com
Fri Mar 5 17:12:16 CET 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 8:03 AM, Deepayan Sarkar
<deepayan.sarkar at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 6:44 AM, Michael Lawrence
> <lawrence.michael at gene.com> wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I've modified the build system for qtbase so that everything is built out
> of
> > the source tree. This is apparently how one is supposed to perform the
> > equivalent of a 'distclean' in autotools (simply delete the build
> > directory). I would suggest checking out a fresh copy, so that everything
> is
> > clean and remains so. R CMD INSTALL --(pre)clean will now clean
> everything
> > out and build from scratch.
>
> OK. I had been effectively doing that anyway as standard practice for
> installing R packages without polluting the source---R CMD build ...
> -> R CMD INSTALL ...

That's probably a good idea. Personally, I wouldn't have the patience to
rebuild the smoke stuff every time, even with the help of ccache.

> > As a side note, it seems we have taken over / branched the
> kdebindings/smoke
> > stuff. This may or may not become a maintenance issue.
>
> Do you mean taken over upstream, or making changes potentially
> incompatible with upstream?

We're making changes that we could eventually submit as patches upstream.
It's just that upstream seems not attentive enough at the moment, and they
might not agree with all the changes. But in my mind, of course, they're
improvements.