[Phylobase-devl] Rcpp and OS X compiliation

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Jan 12 18:01:27 CET 2010

Hi Francois,

I hope you don't mind that I added phylobase-dev back as a CC to keep the
list in the loop.

On 12 January 2010 at 17:30, François Michonneau wrote:
| Hi Dirk,
|
|   I'm willing to help too.

Cool!

|   I run Ubuntu. I can also have access to a machine with Windows XP, but I
| have never tried to compile anything under Windows and I don't really know
| how to do it.

I have those two as well. OS X help and 'mad skillz' are in shorter supply.

|   On a side note, I couple of months ago I also tried to learn how to
| package with Ubuntu and created a package for NCL. You can find it here:
| https://launchpad.net/~francois-michonneau/+archive/ppa/+packages (under
| libncl).

Ahh, nice. That may definitely help for OSs where we can do without building
NCL.  But I fear that we may have to play defense and continue to include NCL
as source to keep it self-contained.  I expect that we need to do something
to 'robustify' the build. I got started in this for cran2deb (see
http://debian.cran.r-rpoject.org) and had to do more surgery than I really
wanted to get it to build sanely on i386 and amd64.  But the real isssue may
be OS X where I can't help/

|   I did that while I was down with the flu and never got back to it. The
| package builds and installs but it's not functional. Indeed, the file
| libncl-2.1.06.so after the install is located in /usr/lib/ncl whereas the
| software that depends on it looks for it in /usr/lib. Given your experience
| with packaging, I was wondering if you could indicate me the best way to
| solve this problem (if you have time/if it can help with phylobase).

--prefix=/usr  maybe?

|   At least one thing that needs to be changed in the source code of the
| latest versions of ncl to compile flawlessly with the most recent versions
| of g++ is to include a few additional headers (you can have a look at the
| diff.gz file on my ppa).

Yes, I think updating NCL to a sane and current version may well a good plan
but I can't speak for the phylobase team.

Cheers, Dirk

|   Let me know how I can help.
|
|   Cheers,
|   -- François
|

| On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 21:37, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:
|

| > On 11 January 2010 at 12:18, Peter Cowan wrote:
| > | On Jan 11, 2010, at 6:55 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| > |
| > | [snip]
| > |

| > outside
| > |
| > | Is this only for testing purposes, or are you envisioning distributing
| > them separately?
| >
| > Yes, sorry -- just for purposes of squaring this test off.
| >
| > I did not mean to imply we should change phylobase in any way.  I just want
| > to help you make your life easier as Rcpp can actually do that (or so I
| > hope).

| > while

| > skillz and
| > |
| > | I'm happy to help w/ OS X testing, but I'm not very familiar with C++,
| > make or configure files.
| >
| > Thanks for the offer.  Simple 'yay' or 'nay' about the 'does it build and
| > run' will help, but you'd need to have a locally built NCL around so that
| > we
| > can do i).  Can you build one and get to the OS X equivalent of /usr/local
| > --
| > ie somewhere where it will be found unaided?
| >
| > Dirk
| >
| > | Peter
| > |

| > | > |