[Phylobase-devl] release date

Jim Regetz regetz at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Aug 27 18:37:09 CEST 2009

I agree the recent progress has been great! I also agree with Peter's
sentiment, and am partial to François' second alternative: holding off a
little longer on the CRAN release to address these issues and others
that arise as we're working (we don't seem to have reached an asymptote
yet), but making an immediate announcement on R-sig-phylo to draw more
attention to the package on R-Forge. This should expand the user (and
thus tester) base, while still limiting it to folks who can be expected
to tolerate some ongoing changes and imperfect functionality in places.

As I see it, this would be the 'beta' version of the 'alpha'
announcement Ben posted to r-sig-phylo in Feb 2008. And this would
certainly follow a precedent set by the 'sp' package, which has
successfully done for the r-spatial realm what phylobase is intended to
do for r-phylo.

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-phylo/2008-February/000017.html
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2005-April/000378.html

With regard to the subsetting/pruning problem, it's not just that it
doesn't work in some cases, but it actually produces the wrong answer.
And at least in my usage, subsetting is a core tree operation that I
would really expect to work properly in phylobase.

IMHO François' road map is a good road map to CRAN, coupled with fixing
any important bugs that we might come across in the process. The release
certainly doesn't have to be totally feature rich and flawless, but
making sure the core functionality is rock solid is important. Releasing
*tomorrow* seems a bit rushed for my tastes. First impressions can be
lasting! There are certainly R packages on CRAN that I've installed
once, been unimpressed with, and never tried again...

Cheers,
Jim