[Phylobase-devl] Aug. virtual hackathon

Jim Regetz regetz at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Aug 13 19:23:10 CEST 2009

Peter Cowan wrote:
> Before, we actually start coding, it's probably worthwhile having at
> least some discussion about the changes that Francois has made, and
> any other major changes people would like.  It would also be good to
> get the RUnit stuff checked in (if I can help at all with that let me
> know Jim) so that we can make a good dent in writing unit tests (which
> will make any future changes much easier to carry out).

Sure thing, I'll go ahead and check in what I've got. Sorry for the
delay. I see François has committed some RUnit tests in his branch
(fantastic!), so I think merging (and augmenting) our tests will in turn
help ease merging his branch and making subsequent changes. That said, I
should point out that I really only wrote a small smattering of simple
tests. More will be needed. And of course if someone feels strongly
about reorganizing the tests or changing their level of granularity, I'm
open to it.

My commit will also include a script that should automatically trigger
the RUnit test suite when doing a package check, plus a Makefile that
makes it easy to run them from the command line whenever you want. These
both come straight off the R-project wiki:

http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=developers:runit

I've used something slightly more customized before, but I figure we
should start with this and then tweak if needed. Works for me locally,
but after I commit it we'll probably just have to wait a day to see if
breaks the RForge checks.

Jim