[Phylobase-devl] path between two tips

Brian O'Meara bcomeara at nescent.org
Thu Nov 20 19:34:45 CET 2008

Two thoughts:

Why not make it a little more general and return the nodes on the
shortest path between any two nodes? ("nodes" in the general tree
sense of nodes, both internal nodes and tips, not as a synonym for
internal nodes). I would guess that this wouldn't add much complexity
if you're doing something like finding the MRCA for two nodes and
recording the nodes between the MRCA and each of the chosen
descendants (reversing the order of the nodes returned for one
descendant, and including the MRCA).

I'd avoid the path2tips name as there are a lot of functions (in
other packages) that use a2b to refer to converting an object of type
"a" to an object of type "b".

I don't know for certain that such a function isn't in phylobase
already, btw.

Best,
Brian

On Nov 20, 2008, at 1:21 PM, Thibaut Jombart wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> here is another proposition of function. In fact, I would just make
> sure
> that it does not already exist somewhere before commiting. I wrote a
> function finding all the nodes on the shortest path from one tip to
> another. It could be part of the treewalk stuff.
>
> My deepest problem now is with the function's name (advice welcome):
> - path2tips
> - tipsPath
> - pathTips
> - shortestPathBetweenTwoTips