[Phylobase-devl] nTips method defined where?

Aaron Mackey ajmackey at gmail.com
Wed May 21 20:38:07 CEST 2008

When reading a nexml-formatted tree with reticulated nodes (i.e. a network),
I'm getting an error while constructing the phylo4 tree that the number of
tips doesn't match the number of tip labels.  This is stemming from
check_phylo4, which checks that nTips(object) is equal to length(tip.label)
-- but I can't find the code for nTips (here is a snippet of my debugging
session within check_phylo4; there are only 5 tips, but nTips reports 6):

Browse[1]> nTips(object)
[1] 6
Browse[1]> object at tip.label
[1] "Homo sapiens" "t3"           "t2"           "t5"
"t4"
Browse[1]> getMethod("nTips", where=object)
Method Definition:

function (x, ...)
{
    .local <- function (x)
    {
        if (class(x) == "phylo") {
            Ntip(x)
        }
        else stop(paste("no 'nTips' method available for",
deparse(substitute(x)),
            "(class", class(x), ")"))
    }
    .local(x, ...)