[Phylobase-devl] labels() and other questions

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at duke.edu
Sat Mar 1 21:06:30 CET 2008

On Feb 29, 2008, at 3:12 PM, Brian O'Meara wrote:

> I can make the change to use one function with an argument once
> we figure out the new name (read.nexus seems logical) and, if it
> exists in ape or elsewhere, how to deal with the conflict. We could
> use "read.nxs" or "read.nex" which don't conflict with ape

I'm admittedly not a big fan of naming functions by file formats.
Although that makes a lot of sense to those knowing or using the file
format, it often doesn't to anyone else. Also, it has a tendency to
become increasingly misleading if the function gets extended over
time to read other but similar formats as well (e.g., would you want
functions read.nexus(), read.nexml(), read.phyloxml(), read.phylip(),
read.nh(), and read.nhx()?).

My suggestion would be to rather name it by either the data type
being read (like read.table()), or the data type being returned. For
example, read.tree(), or read.characters(), or read.phylo().

	-hilmar
: Hilmar Lapp  -:-  Durham, NC  -:- hlapp at duke dot edu :