[Phylobase-devl] Plotting algorithms

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at duke.edu
Fri Jun 13 05:50:23 CEST 2008

FigTree is open-source now: http://tree.bio.ed.ac.uk/software/figtree/

JEBL has a tree drawer and widget: http://sourceforge.net/projects/jebl/

Re: iTol, personally I would never look at source code that isn't OSI
licensed, because of what's called tainting. If you end up writing
code that just happens to mirror the code of a closed-source piece
that you inspected, in theory and depending on the circumstances you
can end up liable for copyright infringement. That's why I would not
even want to see any code under an NDA or other closed-source
agreement. (BTW iTol is Flash-based.)

	-hilmar

On Jun 12, 2008, at 6:02 PM, Brian O'Meara wrote:
> Paloverde (C, 3D): http://loco.biosci.arizona.edu/paloverde/
> paloverde.html
> Mesquite (Java): http://mesquiteproject.org/mesquite/mesquite.html
> Phylip drawtree/drawgram (C): http://
> evolution.genetics.washington.edu/phylip/progs.algs.tree.html
> ouch (R) [yeah, it can draw trees]
> iTol: ( http://itol.embl.de/ ): it appears you can get the source code
> by request. It might also give you ideas of useful features (various
> ways of displaying info at nodes and tips)
> phylowidget (processing and others): http://www.phylowidget.org/ .
> Product of Phylogenetics summer of code last year.
>
> Brian
>
> On Jun 12, 2008, at 4:59 PM, Peter Cowan wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've been poking around phylogenetic tree plotting algorithms that
>> are
>> open source to compare approaches.  If you have ideas for code I
>> could
>> learn from I'd like hear about it.  My language preferences are R >
>> matlab > python > c, but I'm curious to hear about any you know of.
>>
>> Here the list Steve and I came up with in a couple of mins.  What did
>> I miss?
>>
>> ade4
>> cactus
>> maverick
>> treeviewX
>>
>> Peter
> phylobase-devl

: Hilmar Lapp  -:-  Durham, NC  -:- hlapp at duke dot edu :