[Phylobase-devl] Urgent! problems with installing

Marguerite Butler mbutler at hawaii.edu
Wed Jul 2 15:19:39 CEST 2008

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the quick reply!

>      No problems here with 2.7.0.
>   Can you send a read.nexus example for me to try?

Here is the nexus file that read.nexus couldn't read under R 2.7.1
yesterday (this was a problem both for macs and pc's on several
people's computers -- I had a small group of students try it). When I
downgraded it read in fine.

It would be great if you could give it a try.

>> The binaries were available on the r-forge site for a while, but
>> not anymore.
>
>   It looks (?) like they're there -- I even downloaded the file
> and it seems to have the right bits in it, but I can't tell
> without trying to install it ...

Oops! Sorry you are right, the binaries are there. I guess I got
myself confused because it is not passing the check. However, it is
not possible to install the binaries unless you have 2.7.

The real problem is that I can't install from source in 2.6.2.

> But my problem is that I can't even install from source. When I
>> did R CMD check on the package, I get one warning:
>> ====
>> * checking if this is a source package ... WARNING
>> Subdirectory 'pkg/src' contains object files.
>> ====
>> I found "phylobase.so" in pkg/src. Is this supposed to be there?
>> It might be the culprit because the error I get when I try to load
>> phylobase is:
>>  > require(phylobase)
>> Error in dyn.load(file, ...) :
>>   unable to load shared library '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/
>> Resources/library/phylobase/libs/i386/phylobase.so':   dlopen(/
>> Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/phylobase/libs/
>> i386/phylobase.so, 6): Library not loaded: /Library/Frameworks/
>> R.framework/Versions/2.7/Resources/lib/libR.dylib
>>   Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/
>> library/phylobase/libs/i386/phylobase.so   Reason: image not found
>> Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense since I'm installing from
>> source on R 2.6.2.
>
>   It seems it's still looking for a 2.7 library?

Yes, that is what it looks like to me.  Why would it be doing that? I
tried trashing the phylobase directory in the location on my computer
where R is installed, which is here:

/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/phylobase

before re-installing, in case there was something in there from a
seem to help. Is there anything else I should do for a "clean"
install of phylobase?

>> So I went back and removed the "phylobase.so" from the pkg/src
>> directory (the version I got from the svn repository -- revision
>> 192), and tried rebuilding. It passed the check this time, so I
>> installed. But when I try loading, I still get the same error
>> above from my require(phylobase) command??
>> Has anyone else had problems?
>> I don't think it's entirely a 2.6.2 issue because I don't think
>> it's working for the 2.7.X versions either, otherwise wouldn't
>> there be binaries available?
>> I am preparing for the NESCENT course, so this is pretty urgent.
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>> Marguerite
>
>    I will do anything I can to help but am a little restricted
> since it's working fine for me and I don't have a Mac ...

If it turns out that we can only use ape with 2.6.2, and phylobase
with 2.7, is there a way to switch between R versions on the same
computer (of course in different R sessions)? I know that  the old
versions are still there when you install a newer version.

Has any of the other mac users had problems?

Thanks,
Marguerite

Marguerite A. Butler
Department of Zoology