[Phylobase-devl] Phyloinformatics Summer of Code 2008

Peter Cowan pdc at berkeley.edu
Thu Feb 28 23:08:24 CET 2008

On Feb 27, 2008, at 10:47 AM, Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> I thought this would be particularly appropriate to invite you as a
> mentoring 'group', or as a few among you to conceive and mentor a
> project for a remote summer student. I can easily imagine that
> there's more than one project you can carve out, and there's probably
> a number of grad students (or even undergrads) who'd be eager to hack
> away on  the future data or IO or plotting or subsetting or <insert
> here> standard for phylo packages in R.

Heh, can I apply? ;)

Areas that come to mind for me would be:
* Optimizing basic operations, analyses on multitree objects are
likely to be memory intensive and slow.
* Non-ape or ade4 based plotting.  Perhaps implemented in the grid
system.
* Transitioning ape and ade4 code to code that operates directly on
phylo4 objects

All of these seem to me to be time consuming efforts that aren't
likely to happen before a 1.0 release, unless we get someone to really
devote some time.  However, I'm also not sure how pressing these
issues are, we don't yet have enough users to know what the pertinent
issues are.

Peter