[Phylobase-devl] Planning the next release of phylobase

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at duke.edu
Mon Feb 25 15:57:50 CET 2008

On Feb 25, 2008, at 2:21 AM, Peter Cowan wrote:

> Making branches can be done by navigating to the phylobase folder of a
> clean check out (we don't want to copy of a bunch of build files), and
> running something along the lines of.
>
> svn cp pkg/ branches/nodeNumbering
> svn st

Just as an aside, if you want to be sure not to copy build or temp
files around with this (and even if you do, they still won't get
added to the branch just because of that), you can also use
repository URLs instead of working copy paths, both for source and
for target.

(If you use a repository URL for the target, the copy gets committed
immediately, whereas if you use a working copy path as the target,
you have a chance to fiddle around with the result before committing,
which you must then do in addition.)

(If you forgot the repository URL - which I do all the time - you can
glean it quickly from the file .svn/entries in any directory of the
working copy. Look for the url="..." attribute of the first <entry/>
element. Depending on where in the directory hierarchy you access
this, you may have to trim off directories from the end, but you'll
see that quickly. There's probably an svn command to do this in a
more "recommended" way, but this is the way that has stuck quickly in
my memory.)

	-hilmar
: Hilmar Lapp  -:-  Durham, NC  -:- hlapp at duke dot edu :