[Phylobase-devl] labeling order

Peter Cowan pdc at berkeley.edu
Wed Dec 24 23:45:18 CET 2008

On Dec 24, 2008, at 2:17 PM, Marguerite Butler wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Not sure what has happened, and I realize I may not understand. But
> I don't think it's a good idea to have different positional orders
> for edge matrix, labels, ID's, etc. I think that would make it
> really difficult for programmers to understand what is going on.
> Please see my response in the longer thread "vote for arguments"

Marguerite,

I didn't get your longer message, would you mind resending it to the
list.  To comment on the label ordering issue.

I think the edge matrix and nodes have been getting confused.  The
edge matrix is made up of the node numbers.  I think it makes sense to
put the labels following the order of the node numbers rather than the
order of the edge matrix.

e.g. it's less surprising to do labels(x)[node#] to get the right
label, than to have to check it's position in the edge matrix.

my 2 cents,

Peter