[Phylobase-devl] Votes/discussion requested

Marguerite Butler mbutler at hawaii.edu
Wed Dec 24 20:13:15 CET 2008

On Dec 24, 2008, at 1:00 AM, François Michonneau wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-12-24 at 03:07 -0500, Brian O'Meara wrote:

>>> BMB - mostly agree -- also I like preserving the possibility of
>>> strict roundtrip -- but I am worried about safety of objects
>>> exported
>>> from phylobase into ape. Consider warning on export of unknown
>>> objects (no way to turn this off unless we set a global option or
>>> have an explicit export function, but user can explicitly reorder).
>> BCO - agree with Steve.
> FM - I don't think I have enough information on this to have a strong
> opinion. It seems to me that the word 'unknown' can actually refer to
> either 'default' (case of an object created by phylobase) or
> 'unknown' (in the sense, tree imported from another package and so we
> can't guarantee the order). I don't like software that do things "in
> your back" (like reordering during export) but I think I would hate
> even
> more that we loose the compatibility between phylobase and ape trees.
MB - Same as FM. How about @order='ape'?  I strongly agree that things
should be coded as transparently as possible with as few decisions
which would be surprising to others.

>>> BMB fine with me (would like to check printphylo to see if it does
>>> anything summary(phylo4) doesn't)
>> BCO - neutral
> FM - I don't really care about reorder(phylo). It seems that
> printphylo
> isn't really useful. $ just confuses users used to S3 classes.
MB - neutral

>>> BMB would like to defer, don't like them anyway
>> BCO - neutral
> FM - I don't quite see the advantages (or disadvantages) of having a
> NAMESPACE, so neutral I guess.
MB - If I understood why we wanted a namespace, I would be happy to do
it in mid-January. What objects do we want internal, what do we want
to export?

>>> BMB can someone volunteer to implement, or write scripts?
>> BCO - Good for CRAN release (stabilize API). I might be able to do
>> this, but have several deadlines coming up (applying for a third year
>> of postdoc funding by Jan. 10), so I can't guarantee it.
> FM - If I manage to finish what I started then I could work on
> renaming
> the functions.
MB - Like this idea a lot. Can help in mid-January. But where is the
naming table?

>>> BMB agree.  Let's go for it.  Who starts?
>>> (This should be a nuisance but relatively easy to fix in those cases
>>> where we just have to disable reordering ...)
>> BCO - neutral
> FM - It's definitely a crucial issue. Perhaps we could track
> node.labels
> and tip.labels by using named vectors, the names of the vector would
> be
> the nodeId.
MB - I have been really out of it, and I don't know what's on, so
sorry if this comes out strongly, but ---

This one is very important, and I think it's a very bad idea to unlink
the edges and nodes. Edges and nodes are intimately linked. In my
mind, the edge is simply the branch below the node. So to have edges
in one order and nodes in another order makes no sense to me at all.
Why don't we simply give node ID's in "edge" order as you are using
it? otherwise, there is HUGE potential for confusion. And we would
need yet another index that indicates a mapping of the node ID to the
edge matrix.

Instead, why don't we just decide on a standard ordering for phylobase
number the node ID's in this way, and then allow the edge matrix and
nodeID (and all data vectors) to be reordered as needed for whatever
functions.  Using the node ID, we can easily  put everything back to
the "default" phylobase order, BUT ONLY IF all objects (edge matrix,
branch lengths, labels, etc etc are in the SAME order. Don't "break"
the integrity of the object just for programming convenience. There is
just too much danger for confusion. I, for one, would stop using
phylobase, because it's just too hard to remember the peculiarities of
the way the object is constructed. Everytime I wanted to do something,
I'd have to relearn the rules.

>>> BMB if I can do this quickly/easily it will be fun and shouldn't
>>> destabilize anything else ...
>> BCO - I'd find this useful. Making sure order of taxa in matrix and
>> exported data would be great, too.
> FM - I agree with Brian.
MB - Also agree with Brian

>>> BMB would be nice ...
>> BCO - yes
> FM - sounds good to me
MB - Yes, a necessary function. I've forgotten how rooted vs unrooted
trees are represented differently in Nexus format, but we should be
able to figure out a convention. I'm not sure what you folks mean
about edges and nodes not being equivalent. Of course they are not
equivalent in the strict sense, but you can't have edges without
nodes, and vice versa. The fundamental unit of a branching tree is a
node, with associated edges etc. So the edge is just the branch
ancestral (that leads to) the node. This takes care of everything --
tips, internal nodes, even the most basal node.